We all know how important getting a good night's sleep is for you to be rested and productive the following day. We take sleep seriously which is why we've put together our top tips to ensure you get the best night's sleep.
1) Get plenty of fresh air during the day - Making sure you spend time outside during the day is a key factor in sleeping well at night - there is more oxygen outside which results in an increase in serotonin (known as the happy chemical) which makes you feel happy and relaxed, the perfect mindset for a good night's sleep.
2) Run a bath - As well as the relaxation offered by a good soak there is a proven reason why it's a good way to induce sleep - after a warm bath your body will begin to cool down which signals your circadian rhythm to begin to make you feel sleepy. Aim to bathe 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes before you intend to sleep.
3) Stretching - Releasing muscular tension by stretching before bed is a great way to relax and prepare for sleep. Even better if you can add in an additional couple of minutes for some meditation at the end, calming the mind in this way is proven to help battle insomnia.
4) Switch off devices - There's a very simple reason why this is a key way to combat sleeplessness - bright light in our environment can signal our brains to stay alert and awake, staring at a phone or computer screen offers a direct dose of this, so try and turn off screens at least 30 minutes before you go to bed.
5) Enjoy a cup of herbal tea - Many tea brands now offer sleepy or nighttime teas to aid relaxation and induce sleep, these will often contain natural extracts such as chamomile or valerian which have been used for many years as a sleep aid and may also increase the overall quality of your sleep.
6) Unwind with a good book - Opting to read before bed is an ideal way to prepare for sleep as your mind is distracted from daily stresses and worries that can cause tension. In fact the University of Sussex found that reading for just 6 minutes reduced stress by 68%.
7) Use an essential oil or pillow spray - Essential oils have long been promoted as a natural way to induce sleep and Lavender in particular is widely recognized as a sleep aid. Oils can be used in a number of ways, you could add a few drops into a diffuser for example or apply directly on to pillowcases & bedding to allow the scent to linger.
Our Sleep Well oil contains extracts of Lavender, Neroli and Ylang Ylang, designed to help you relax and unwind.
We take sleep seriously...from luxury Egyptian cotton bedding to goose-down mattresses and feature bath tubs we have a variety of rooms to choose from, all designed to offer you a great night's sleep:
Visit: The Grand Brighton
Visit: Richmond Hill Hotel